Sunday, October 5, 2008

What's love got to do with it?

Through numerous conversations and personal experiences - I have come to realize that love is a somewhat or very different concept in different countries/cultures.

As an American, I find the French more tragic and therefore more romantic when it comes to love and relationships. We all know the stereotypes that they are more 'pragmatic' or 'liberal' than Americans, whichever word fits your better. But I have come to think that they are more tragic - its OK to have lost at love. In the U.S., it is seen as a failure - where in France it is seen as part of life and you are better off having had a passionate relationship than none at all. To the French: love is messy, complicated, and there are no "rules". Rules - are something Americans, in general, love and love to follow. If person does X then you do Y.

This is my opinion - any others?

1 comment:

A said...

As someone who's not experienced a big love w/a Frenchman, I don't know. But, I think you're right. I think that's how Italians are too. I think Americans go into relationships with a slew of rules and when they're not met (I can't even say broken, bc the rules may be one-sided), then they're disappointed, hurt, dejected, etc.